Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Can You See Me? Can You Hear Me?

Finished piece
Close up
Closer up

For those of you who don't know my words were mystery, wallpaper, and pattern. And this is what I came up with for those words.

At first I thought I lucked out when I drew my words. Getting pattern and wallpaper seemed to be a lucky break. I mean what are the odds right? But then I got to thinking and realized how do you make wallpaper mysterious... My initial idea was to make something reminiscent of the Jeepers Creepers movie poster. So i thought I'd go out and find some awesome wallpaper and get to work and cram this thing out with time to spare. Thing is I got to Walmart and realized that oh yeah, there is no such thing as awesome wallpaper. It's all ugly. So I bought what I thought would work best and decided my initial idea wasn't going to work with this wallpaper. So the Tuesday before crit I was sitting in class with no ideas and trying anything that came to mind to no avail. It was 3 hours down the drain. I stitched 4 pieces of my wallpaper border together for Thursday and when I got to class on Thursday I went with the first idea that popped into my mind which turned into my final piece.
Overall I'd say I created mystery pretty well with what I did and I feel I used my other two words well. I think that the wallpaper needs to look more aged but that is something I can go back and fix in the future should I choose to.
I was much happier with this crit than my last one. I think my piece was well received and it definitely had people wondering what was going on. Mission Accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment